Oregon State University recognizes significant engagement and accomplishment in undergraduate research and the arts by awarding an honor distinction of “Research Fellow” or “Arts Fellow” to students in any major upon completion of a significant research or creative arts project under mentorship of an OSU faculty mentor.  The distinction will be noted on the student’s transcript, and the student may wear a blue honor cord at graduation ceremonies.

“Research/Creativity” is defined here as modes of scholarship and inquiry as they are variously practiced and defined in OSU’s academic disciplines.

  • A “Research Fellow” will be a student who has engaged in activities leading to uncovering new knowledge or applying existing knowledge to solving problems.
  • An “Arts Fellow” is a student completing a significant creative project in the arts. Creative projects may fall under the performance arts (theater, dance, music, etc.), media (video, film), writing, or the visual arts.

The following are eligible to serve as OSU faculty mentors:

  • Professorial Faculty (Assistant/Associate/Full Professor/Professor of Practice)
  • Instructors who are engaged in research or creative activities
  • Professional Faculty who are engaged in research or creative activities

Other important details:

  • Students can seek both the “Research Fellow” and the “Arts Fellow" notation on their transcript but for separate projects.

  • Graduate students and post-doctoral scholars are not eligible to serve as the OSU faculty mentor but may mentor undergraduates seeking the “Research Fellow” or “Arts Fellow” along with the OSU faculty mentors.

  • Students completing theses in the OSU Honors College and BioResource Research Program will receive Transcript Notation automatically and do not need to complete this form.

How to apply:

Before applying for Transcript Notation, you must upload you presentation or thesis into Scholar's Archive:

Upload to Scholar's Archive

Once you've done that, you're ready to apply for Transcript Notation:

Apply for Transcript Notation