There are many ways to integrate international research opportunities to your OSU curriculum. If you plan to write a thesis at the end of your OSU career, studying abroad could be a way to start your research.

Research-Focused Study Abroad Options

Research-focused study abroad options offer many great opportunities in various major fields. In this type of programs, you will be taking a few courses that will provide you with resources and tools to conduct your research as part of the program. You may take an intensive language class, so you can interact with the locals; you may take a field research ethics class, so that you know the protocols of working with human subjects; or you may take a thesis seminar class, so you have tools to write a publishable research paper at the end of the program.

Research-Focused Internship Options

Research-focused internship options are available through IE3 Global Internships, which offers over 150 international internship opportunities in over 50 countries. All of the IE3 internships are full-time, minimum 10-week long, and students typically earn 12 credits for a term-long internship. If you need research or internship credits for your major, you should discuss with your academic advisor and/or thesis mentor to see how an IE3 internship can fit in your curriculum.

Research-Focused Directed Study Option

You may find that your needs are best met by individualized directed study. This can take the form of specific individualized study overseas or, more often, a research project. Directed study can be undertaken for 3 – 9 credits and, with permission, 12 credits. Please remember that you must take at least 6 credits per term to be considered for any financial aid. Working with academic faculty is at the core of your academic planning. As soon as you have identified a potential topic, you should identify a faculty adviser willing to provide guidance to your project. This faculty is involved in your project from the beginning (including helping you refine your topic and methodology and locate relevant literature) to the end (final grading of the project). Your chances of finding a willing faculty member is enhanced if you have put considerable thought into your project, and have done relevant coursework in the faculty member's discipline.

The following is a partial list of scholarships, fellowships and grants that provide funding for graduate study abroad. Stop by the Study Abroad Resource Center on the 4th floor of Snell Hall to learn more.

Fulbright Scholarship

  • Institute of International Education
  • For study, research or teaching abroad
  • Applications are to ONE specific country
  • If more than one semester of study in a country, don't apply to that country.
  • Funds awarded

Marshall Scholarship

  • Marshall Scholarships "finance young Americans of high ability to study for a degree in the United Kingdom"
  • For study at any UK university, including the "Big Three"
  • Need a 3.7 GPA minimum to apply

The George J. Mitchell Scholarship

  • Scholarship for study in Ireland
  • NOT for "Irish Studies"
  • Competitive - modeled as the "Marshall Scholarship to Ireland"

Rhodes Scholarship

  • For study at Oxford University, UK
  • Must have impressive grades and leadership experience

Thomas J. Watson Fellowship

  • A one-year grant for travel and study outside the U.S.
  • Must be a student at one of the 50 participating institutions
  • Free-formed, non-study proposals

The Samuel Huntington Public Service Award

  • Provides an annual stipend of $10,000 for a graduating college senior to pursue public service anywhere in the world

David L. Boren Scholarship 

  • National Security Education Program (NSEP) David L. Boren Undergraduate Scholarships
  • Offers undergraduates the resources to study the language and culture of a non-Western country
  • Intern for the federal department of your choice

Ronald E. McNair Post-Baccalaureate Achievement Program

  • Created to increase educational opportunities to students who are from low-income, first-generation families, and/or those who are from ethnic backgrounds traditionally underrepresented in graduate education. It is funded through the Department of Education.
  • Apply through home college or university.
Additional Graduate Programs and Search Engines: