Academic Counselors utilize a style of interpersonal communication with students that seeks to create a comfortable environment for students to process their experiences and problem solve for opportunities.
- We listen for opportunities to ask other questions and to hear more about their personal lives
- We ask open ended questions and allow students to share
- We are open to and encourage hearing stories from students and hearing about feelings
- When we respond, we do not tell students what to do; instead we ask questions and provide information about the university and resources
- We give honest feedback and help students see other perspectives